Pop Song Review: "Boston" by Stella Lefty

 


POP SONG REVIEW - "BOSTON"


You're gonna have to bear with me on this one. I've never done a singular song review on here before, so it may be a little weird if it's not as long as my other articles. I decided I'd do this a bit earlier than I wanted to because there's a song out now that gives me a whole lot to talk about. That would be the song in the title of this article, "Boston" by Stella Lefty. It's currently #2 on the Billboard Hot 100, which is really insane if you think about it. This song only has 2M views on YouTube, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Its Spotify streams are high, but does that really account for how well this song is doing? Well, let's find out.

Stella Lefty (real name Stella Lefkofsky) is the daughter of a billionaire. Well, that explains a whole lot. Her dad is the co-founder of Groupon and the CEO/founder of Tempus AI and Mediaocean. Stella herself has been singing for most of her life. As far as her musical career goes, she started by releasing songs on TikTok while studying abroad in the Netherlands. She released singles like "Stay", "Kiss Me", and "Thinkin' Bout You" before being tasked to write a song ("The Kill") for Scream 7. I think those last two things are what helped her get to this point. "Thinkin' Bout You" is a great song, which I actually really like a lot. It's got a nice sentiment and it's catchy. Meanwhile, "The Kill" helped her get heard more, in my opinion. I like that song a bit too. It has a dark vibe that works really well. 

Stella was also supposed to perform for Tucker Wetmore's Brunette World Tour. Man, I would feel bad for her if she had to hear "Wine into Whiskey" every single night she performed. I wonder if that's the reason why she dropped out. She didn't explain it, so it very well could be that she realized that song is miserable. That saga brings us to February 2026, when she released "Boston", a relatively normal country pop song that inadvertently sampled the melody of "Stick Season" by Noah Kahan. You can really hear that in the chorus because it's the main line of the song. "On a train back to Boston and we're jumpin' the gun" sounds exactly like Noah Kahan's line "Love Vermont but it's the season of the sticks". It even mentions a place in the Northeast!

So, how did this get big? Well, there are theories that Stella used her background in being loaded to buy her way into stardom. I don't necessarily believe that, considering I actually like her voice and think she's talented. Do I like "Boston", though? Not really. It's too basic for my taste. It doesn't really feel like it should be a giant hit, or a hit at all, really. I would much prefer if one of her other songs was the one here. It doesn't feel like real country music. It feels like a city girl trying her darndest to be country. I like the melody a little bit, but that's because I like "Stick Season" by Noah Kahan just enough to where this still manages to annoy me.

"Boston" is about Stella and her boyfriend (fellow country singer Vincent Mason) going on a train back to Boston. Stella finds herself falling in love, saying that she "likes it when [he's] nice to [her]". I think this works as a expression of niceness, but I don't think it's meant to be overly profound. It's simple. Almost too simple, honestly. I think a lot of its simplicity works against it in a lot of ways, especially with the instrumental. I feel like it's doing work to be traditional country and pop at the same time. The blend doesn't work well here, though. It sounds like "Baby's first country song".

Listening to this song, I see some things I like, though. I think Stella has a nice voice, and the acoustic guitar goes well with her. The lyrics are pretty generic, although the idea of a country song talking about going to Boston rather than, you know, Nashville, is hilarious. Yes, my favorite center of country music, Boston, Massachusetts. I think this song could use a little bit more specifics in the lyrics, though. Most of the lyrics are just generic love song phrases and words that just don't do much for me. I think the title line subverts expectations because instead of pointing out something more concrete and specific, it just says he's "nice". Reminder that my favorite hit of last year was literally called "Nice To Each Other". 

Is this one of the worst songs of the year? Not by any means. There's nothing offensive or unlistenable about this. "Boston" is just a mediocre pop song with a country filter over it. The thing I'm more concerned about here is the reception of it. People HATE this song because, to them, it represents nepo baby/industry plant slop that everyone has a visceral reaction to. I'm not going to be mean to this song because, frankly, Stella doesn't deserve it. I'm gonna put in a pin in that rage and save it for December when I actually need it. I think this is just another mediocre pop country ballad that gets popular for the same reason that every other mediocre pop country ballad gets popular - palatability. This is an easy song to listen to. It's not grating, it's not over-the-top, it's just chill. That's what I think this song is used best for, when you're just relaxing. Overall, I don't hate it, but it wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to 2026 pop music.

Comments

Popular Posts